Guide to booking your activity holiday
Your holiday is an important event - you probably don't get many of these a year and naturally you want to ensure that you make the most of your time. Use our pointers which might help you to avoid unforeseen pitfalls.
A recommendation is ideal, but if you're an intrepid independent traveller, it's likely that you won't know anyone who has done an activity with that particular company before.
First and foremost, Marsbrook recommends that you take out adequate holiday insurance to cover you for cancellation and unforeseen circumstances.
- Check exactly what is included in your holiday, from food, flights, accommodation, drinks, local transport (what exactly), additional fees you might be expected to pay - for what.
- Find out about your tutor if the activity your choosing has one - what experience do they have - what other work have they done, what makes them good at what they do?
- If you have special requirements, how able is the company to provide for these - for example wheelchair access to a peanut allergy
- What options are there if you fancy a day off - is it built in to the schedule, or if not, would this be feasible?
- What provisions does the company make for unsatisfied clients?
- If the company couldn't run the course, how would this affect you and what compensation would they offer. Could you claim off your own travel insurance policy?
- Does the company have any testimonials or previous customers you can contact to find out what they thought of their experience?
- How will weather affect your experience? Consider where you would rather undertake an activity or course and whether a given location will give you the experience you desire.
- Is there any special equipment that you need to take part in a course or activity? Is this supplied or are you expected to bring it?
- If you have to bring your own materials - e.g. camera and memory card for a photography course, oils for a painting holiday - is there provision if you run out or your equipment malfunctions?
- What is the maximum and minimum size of a group? Will the course still run if you're the only participant and are you happy with this? Or is the main point of your holiday to meet other people?
- When are you expected to pay the deposit and full amount? What happens if you forget to pay?
Find a holiday
Holidays at a glance
Advertise with us
Join our Newsletter